1/25/2012

Make Your Own Chipotle!

Yesterday I busied myself in the kitchen getting my freezer restocked with homemade, healthy convenience food: burgers, breakfast burritos, corndog muffins, and chicken nuggets.  This makes me superbly happy. :) I have plans for mini pizzas, waffles, and who knows what else come Friday.  Yay!

Since I was so busy doing other things, I wanted a super super super simple yet incredibly delicious dinner.  So, I took out one of the packs of frozen shredded chicken I always have in my freezer, stuck it in the crockpot and simmered a quick homemade bbq sauce I kicked-up with a chipotle pepper and some adobo sauce.  I threw together a 5 minute corn and bean salsa that just sat in the fridge to get delicious, and all I had to do at dinner time was steam some rice.  All of this equaled one of my favorite things = a Chipotle burrito bowl.  Oh my yum!!!!!

Early in pregnancy with Liam this was one of the things I craved.  Then I got the stomach flu.  And well, they've just never been the same since.  This was my first attempt at making them at home and I'm so darn pleased I'll never go to Chipotle again.  *evil laughs*  Anyway, here's the skinny!



Chipotle-Style Burrito Bowl
Yield: about 4 servings

For the meat:
2 chicken breasts, shredded
1 recipe a little different homemade bbq sauce
1 t garlic powder
1/2 C apple cider vinegar
1/4 C brown sugar
1 chipotle chili pepper and 1 t adobo sauce

For the salsa:
1 C frozen corn
1/2 C black beans, rinsed and drained
8 to 12 ounces petite diced tomatoes
1/2 sweet onion, diced
1/4 C lime juice
a squeeze or two of siracha (to taste)
1/4 t garlic powder
1/4 t sea salt
1/2 t cumin
1/2 C chopped fresh cilantro

For the rice:
1 C plain old rice
2 C water
sea salt
1/2 C chopped fresh cilantro
1 T lime juice
2 t vegetable oil

For the toppings:
I used all those crushed-up bits at the bottom of my tortilla chip bag that no one wants
sour cream
monterey jack cheese
shredded lettuce, if that's your thing
guacamole, if that's your thing

Meat: Poach the chicken breasts in water or chicken stock for 30 minutes (or in a crockpot for 4 hours), run your knife through them while they're piping hot (use tongs to keep them steady) so that they shred easily.  Freeze for later use, or plop that into a crockpot.

BBQ: Meanwhile, make the bbq sauce and add in the extra ingredients listed from garlic powder to adobo sauce.  Simmer 1 hour then add to the crockpot.  Cook the meat in the bbq sauce on low for up to 6 hours.  If you need to cook it longer, add a little water or citrus juice (pineapple-orange works nicely) to keep it moist.

Salsa: Combine the black beans, corn, tomatoes, lime juice, sea salt, cumin, and cilantro in a bowl and refrigerate at least a few hours prior to serving, or up to 2 days in advance.

Rice: Combine the rice and water in a lidded saucepan with a touch of sea salt and 1 t oil.  Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, stir once and cover.  Cook for 22 minutes.  Remove from the heat and stir in the lime juice, cilantro, other teaspoon of oil, and a little more sea salt.

To Serve: To assemble a bowl, start with the rice, then the meat, then the salsa, then top with your toppings of choice.  I did chips, cheese, and a dollop of sour cream.  MMMMMM GOOD.  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment